Vickie’s Basil Beef Bites #2
We’re still playing with the Bite Size Beef Bite recipe and decided to create an alternative version to the original Bite Size Beef Bites. These are the things we do on cold winter days when you can’t go anywhere in the snow.
Where the other version has a slight Italian flare with sage and oregano, this one uses some of our favorite spices with basil and parsley. So we decided to call this the French flare.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes, plus 1 hour in the fridge
Cooking time: Approx. 20 – 40 minutes
- 2 lbs London Broil mostly thawed
- ½ tblspn salt
- ½ tspn pepper
- 1 tblspn Sweet Basil
- 1 tblspn Parsley
- ¼ cup margarine
- ½ small onion – diced
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- 2 tblspn Worcestershire sauce
- Dice the onion and saute it with the margarine in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Cut the beef into 1 inch squares and place them in a medium size mixing bowl.
This is easier to do when the beef is just a little frozen in the middle.
- Once the saute onions are soft, add the salt, pepper, basil, parsley, tomato and Worcestershire sauce. Combine these ingredients well.
- Cook the onion seasoning for approx 5 minutes
- Remove the onion mixture from the heat and pour it over the beef squares. Fold the beef into the wet sauce and make sure the beef is covered with the butter and spices.
- Place the bowl in the fridge to soak in the sauce for about 1 hour.
- Remove beef bites from fridge.
- Empty the beef bites and all the sauce into the same skillet you sauted the onions in.
- Over medium heat, brown the beef bites.
Make sure you turn the pieces over, to cook all sides. This should take 15 minutes or so.
- Once the bites are cooked all the way through, cover the skillet and cook for about another 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir.
- Serve hot.
- Make “Texas Beef Bites” by adding roasted red peppers.
- Add a jar of tomato or Alfredo sauce and serve over your favorite noodles.
- Try browning the beef bites before soaking them in the mixture. It adds a touch of flavor. But decrease the cook time in the oven by 15 minutes.