Aidan’s White Queso Sauce/Dip
One of our favorite restaurants in the Richmond Virginia area is Mexico Palace. The Spotsylvania store was our local branch. The folks there are always friendly, efficient and the food is great!
Now that we live in NC, our son has turned his hand to duplicating their White Queso dip. It’s great as a dip or a white sauce over burritos, enchiladas or whatever Mexican dish you enjoy. This is his current version of their Queso. Even if it’s not exactly theirs, it’s really really good!
Use as a White Sauce for Beef Burritos.
Preparation Time: 20 min
Makes 2 cups
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup butter or margerine
- 1/2 tblspn Lime
- 1/2 cup White Cheddar or American Cheese
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tspn salt
- Pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan, mix the milk, butter and Lime over medium heat.
- Once the sauce is warm (not boiling!), add the cheese. Continue to stir the sauce until the cheese has melted into the mixture.
- Sprinkle the flour into the sauce and stir until smooth. You don’t want any clumps in your sauce.
- You might try the sauce before adding the salt. Depending on what brand of cheese you use, your sauce may get all the salt it needs from the cheese.
- Add the pepper to your personal tastes.
- Continue to stir the sauce so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Cook until hot and the sauce thickens.
As with any sauce, you can add a variety of flavors.
- Add Red and/or Green Peppers.
Dice the peppers into small bites. Add them to the sauce with all the wet ingredients. Cook until the peppers are soft.
- Add Red Onions
Dice the onions into small bites. Add them to the sauce with all the wet ingredients. Cook until the onions are soft.
- Add chili powder
If you want a sauce with a kick, add a spicy chili powder to replace the salt and pepper.
- Serve Hot