Maw Stoots Got The Blues Brew:
For those rainy day blues, here’s an apple a day to keep the doctor away drink. A great old homeopathic remedy to help you feel relaxed and warm inside.
Preparation time: 4 hours to prepare, add 6 hours to allow mixture to stand before serving
- 2 quarts cut apples
- 4 quarts water
- 3 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 orange, cut into small pieces.
- 3 cups of sugar
Makes about 4 quarts of brew.
- Freshly picked apples are best. Harvest enough to make 2 quarts of cubed apples.
- Core the apples, but do not skin them.
- Wash the apples in cold water then slice them into 1 inch cubes.
- Select a large orange and peal the rein.
- Separate the slices and if necessary, remove the seeds.
- In a large stew pot, mix the water and sugar to boiling for about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Add the cut apples and cook for approximately 3 hours. Stirring often. But do not let mixture come to a strong boil.
- Add white vinegar and orange slices. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- Turn off heat and let mixture cool upon the stove.
- Once cooled, strain the mixture through a double ply cheesecloth, squeezing the leftover fruit pieces to remove all the juice.
- Pour the liquid into a jug, such as a glass cider jug.
- Cover with a lid, but DO NOT screw the cap down tightly.
- Store in your refrigerator.
- Drink over ice, or you can warm single cups adding a cinnamon stick for additional flavor.
The Left Overs
You don’t have to throw away the ‘mushed’ apples and oranges. Use these leftovers to make a taste apple sauce.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Drop the leftover fruit from the cheese cloth onto a large cookie sheet.
- Using a spoon or potato masher, flatten the leftovers over the sheet.
- At this point it should be fairly easy to find the remaining orange skins and remove them from the mixture.
- Return the remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Add 2 cups of water and ½ cup brown sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring the brown sugar into mixture until melted.
- Top with marshmallows and bake for 10 minutes
- Cool until warm and serve.
© 1997-2018 Springwolf, D.D., Ph.D., Springwolf’s Creations. All Rights Reserved.