Papaw Carey’s Juicy Hamburgers
I have memories from when I was a child, watching my dad mix various ingredients into ground beef to make hamburger patties. They always added that extra special flavor that made them so much better than just plain hamburgers.
My Dad would get a large amount of ground beef at the local Butcher’s Shop to bring home for hamburgers. He would make the patties and put them between wax paper squares to freeze a batch for us to enjoy throughout the summer. It’s one big reason I would love to have a big freezer at my house now.
Over the years, I’ve altered the recipe slightly to our taste, but they’re based on Dad’s original recipe. And they still taste great straight from the grill!
Preparation Time: 1 ½ hours
Makes 6 to 8 patties
- 1 lbs ground hamburger or Bison burger
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- ¼ tspn pepper
- ¼ tspn salt
- ¼ cup bacon bits
- ¼ ketchup *
- 2 tblspns bbq sauce *
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1 tblspn chopped onion (optional)
- Mix all the above ingredients in a large mixing bowl by hand.
- Kneed the hamburger for about 3 minutes to ensure the meat is fully mixed with the dry ingredients.
- Set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove from fridge and kneed meat into desired sized patties. About 4 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick should yield about 5 patties.
- Grill or fry patties until cooked to desired taste.
- We prefer to use Bison burger instead of ground beef.
- Use your favorite BBQ in place of the ketchup.
- If you do use ketchup, we think it tastes best with Heinz ketchup.
- Serve warm with your favorite burger fixin’s.
- You might also want to try Garrett’s homemade Hamburger buns.
- Serve with our Cheesy Tater Wedges or our Traditional Potato Wedges