GrandMa Sandy’s Cracked Pepper Roast Beef
A perfect recipe to stick to your bones on a cold winters day. This roast dish has a French flair with the base being Aus Jus. You can make the sauce from scratch, or use Sandy’s option and purchase a package of McCormick Aus Jus.
Sandy preferred to make this roast in a pressure cooker. But through the years, she opted for an easier method and prepared this dish in a crock pot instead.
I recommend the crock pot as well. It’s less dangerous. If you’ve ever been around a pressure cooker that exploded, you’ll understand. Hmm, I wonder what happened to my Mom’s pressure cooker. I believe it went missing after an explosion incident, and that’s when the crock pot appeared.
Preparing the meal is fairly quick and easy.
Cooking however, will take 4 to 6 hours
- Medium to large Roast
- ½ cup of water
- ½ tsp of McCormick Cracked Pepper (do not add salt)
- ½ cup sliced celery
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ package McCormick Au Jus Gravy
- In a large heavy pot, or a slow cooker, place the roast with a ½ cup of water. Cover with tightly fitted lid and cook on medium heat for 1 hour.
- After an hour, add another ½ cup of water, Cracked Pepper, diced onion and celery
- Prepare the Au Jus Gravy according to the directions on the package
- Cover with tightly fitted lid
- Cook for 4-6 hrs
- In a pot on the stove, cook on medium heat
- In a crock pot, cook on high heat
- Once cooked, remove the roast to a deep dish serving dish
- Using a ladle, pour some of the juice over the roast, including the added vegetables.
- You can add any type of vegetable to your roast, such as diced carrots, slicked mushrooms or broccoli
- Serve Hot
- Serve with petite potatoes and your favorite vegetables