Papaw’s Easy Tuna Salad
My dad loved meat salads. Tuna, chicken and ham salads were his favorites. And he made each one from scratch and usually during the spring and summer months.
This is how I remember his tuna salad dish. He usually had these with crackers. But he’d make them into a sandwich for lunch now and then too.
Preparation time: 15 to 45 minutes
It depends on what you put into the salad mix. If you’re going to add boiled eggs, it’s going to take a little longer.
- 1 large can of Albacore Tuna
- 4 Hard boiled eggs
- 1 small can pineapple chunks
- Sweet Pickle Gherkins
- Miracle Whip Dressing
I prefer Miracle Whip Lite, but you can use any mayonnaise or dressing spread.
- Yellow Mustard
- Place 4 eggs into a pot and cover with water. Cook to a boil for 30 – 40 minutes.
- When cooked, remove the eggs, cover with cold water and set aside.
- Drain tuna and place into a large microwave safe mixing bowl.
- Cook for 15 to 30 seconds in the microwave. He did this just to warm up the tuna a little.
- Drain the pineapple and add it into the bowl.
- Cut about 6 sweet gherkins and add them to the mix.
- Add desired amount of miracle whip and mustard. (About 2 tablespoons of mayo and 1 tablespoon of mustard).
- Mix the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Peal the hard-boiled eggs and rinse any extra shell from the eggs.
Don’t worry about how they look, you’re not fixing deviled eggs.
- Slice the hard-boiled eggs and place them into the mix.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently mix all the ingredients together.
- Serve on a leaf of lettuce with crackers.
- Or, Serve on toast with cheese and lettuce for a tasty sandwich.
- Switch out the sweet gherkins for 2 dill pickles, and add 1 tablespoon of dill juice to the mix.
- Dice half an onion and a couple of stalks of celery to add some color and flavor to your tuna mix.
- Lightly toast your favorite sliced bread, to make a sandwich. Try it on sourdough, it’s yummy.
- If you make a sandwich, try adding 2 slices of crisp bacon and a tomato.
Vickie’s Tuna Melt on Croissant
Here’s my version of a Tuna melt. Start with my Dad’s Tuna salad, then do this:
- Slice a large croissant and place it on a cookie sheet.
- Dish out a scoop or two of tuna salad onto one slice of croissant. Then top the tuna with a slice of your favorite cheese.
- Toast the sandwich in the oven on 350 for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Place a tomato on the bare slice of croissant. Top it with a leaf of lettuce.
- Add 2 slices of crisp bacon on top of the cheese side of the sandwich.
- Serve warm.