Vickie’s Slow Cooked Chili
This recipe is much like my Dad’s Stove Top Chili, with a few tweaks, we add Jack Daniels Honey to ours. And I don’t add beans to this recipe. You certainly can add your favorites to this mix. But no thanks. 😉
As with the Stove Top Chili, the trick to good chili is the meat. You can use chicken or beef with this recipe. But if you use beef, make it a good quality ground beef.
Back in the early 2000s, Gary and I tried Bison with this recipe and it was extraordinarily fabulous. I highly suggest using it for any of your home cooked beef ground meals!
Also: You might like to try the Stove Top Chili recipe as well. It’s different from this one.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours – Crock pot Recipe
- 2 lbs ground Bison Beef (buffalo meat)
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1 jar Heinz Mild Chili Sauce (12 oz)
- ½ cup Welch’s Concord Grape Jelly
- 1 shot Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey
- 2 Tomatoes (red or yellow) (chopped they should make about 2 cups)
- 1 sm Onion (chopped it should make about 1 cup)
- 1 pkg Heinz Bacon Bits
- ½ cup Parsley flakes
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 tspn pepper
- Crock Pot
- Lightly brown the bison beef in a skillet over medium heat.
Keep the beef crumbled as you cook it. I use 2 forks to separate any clumps that cook together.
- While the beef is cooking, add all the wet ingredients to the crock pot on high heat (ketchup, chili sauce, Jelly and Jack Honey) and mix well.
- Add the bacon bits, parsley flakes, salt, pepper and mix well again.
- Cube the tomatoes and add them to the crock pot mix and stir well.
- Dice the onion and crumble it into the beef to saute in the grease.
- When the beef is completely browned, drain the grease from the meat as much as possible.
- Add the beef/onion mix to the crock pot and stir thoroughly.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes (this is important to keep the mix from burning).
- After 2 hours, lower the heat to medium and cook for another 4 hours, stirring every hour.
- Try adding 3 or 4 chopped celery sticks.
- You can add elbow noodles, but also add ½ cup water.
- You can pick your flavor of Chili sauce, we like Mild. You can certainly add hot to yours.
- For a hotter chili, add 2 unchopped red chili peppers to soak in the mix.
- Serve hot and top with cheddar cheese
- Add a dab of sour cream on top of the chili for those who like it
- Serve with corn bread or Tostitos chips for dipping.