Kevin’s Jack Daniels BBQ
Gary’s cousin Kevin, makes some of the best bbq I’ve ever had! He mostly uses beef, but you can use this recipe with pork or chicken as well. It tastes best with beef though.
Preparation time: 15 to 20 minutes
Cooking time: 4 to 5 hours
- 1 Beef Roast
3lbs will serve 5 *
- 1 tspn Celery Salt
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce **
- 1 shot Jack Daniels Whiskey ***
- 1 large stew pot
* You can use pork or chicken for this recipe as well, just make sure it’s at least 3 pounds of meat.
** Kevin uses Stubs BBQ Sauce. We use Masterpiece Original. You can use your favorite brand.
*** Gary adds 1 additional shot of Jack to spike the flavor. So that would be 2 total.
- Place Roast, Celery Salt, BBQ and Jack in the stew pot.
- Cover just to the top of the roast with water.
- During cooking, turn the roast over in the water to ensure the top does not dry out.
- Cook the roast on the stove over low medium heat for about 3 to 4 hours, or until done.
- You want the roast to be fully cooked and just at the start of falling apart. So if you have to add cooking time, add 1 hour at a time and check the meat after each hour.
When the Roast Is Cooked
- Preheat the oven to 400° F
- Spoon the grease off the top of the water and place it in a large square cake pan (about 9 x 13in).
- Remove the roast with a couple of forks and place it in the cake pan. Then using the forks pull the roast apart in it’s natural long slices.
- Pour ½ cup of the remaining liquid from the pot into a roasting pan. You can also use a store bought roasting pan to save on clean up. Be careful, this liquid will be hot!
- Once you have the roast pulled apart, fold it in the greasy liquid so it’s all coated. The grease will help the beef from becoming too dry as it cooks in the oven.
- Place the coated pulled beef in the roasting pan.
- Add ½ cup BBQ and fold it into the meat thoroughly.
- Place the roasting pan in the oven for 15 to 25 minutes. Your goal is to cook off some of the liquid.
- Remove from the oven, fold the meat in the sauce again. If needed place the pan back in the oven for another 10 min. Repeat this step as needed to steam off the excess liquid. You want a some of the “wetness” to stay, because this is your sauce. But you may not want it dripping all over the place.
- When the bbq is cooked to your satisfaction, remove it from the oven and let it stand for 5 minutes. Then serve.
- Serve warm
- Serve with Garrett’s Hamburger Buns, Grand Daddy’s BBQ Slaw, Papaw Carey’s Country Baked Beans .