Grand Daddy Holland’s Beef BBQ
Grand Daddy Hollands Beef BBQ recipe was lost when he left us. But Gary’s cousin Kevin, has been perfecting his version of that recipe as he remembers it. It’s pretty close to the original. But even if it’s not exactly the same, it’s still fantastic!
Every time we make this, Gary remembers a weekend on the Lake in Love Valley, NC where Grand Daddy built a cabin. The whole family would gather there during the summers and enjoy the water, the woods and the many cook outs. I hope your family can make your own memories with this yummy family tradition.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: For a 3 pound roast, 4 to 6 hours
- 3 pound roast
- 2 packages of Hamburger buns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pre-heat oven to 325° F
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
- Rub the seasoning onto the roast well.
- Place the prepared meat in a large roasting pot or pan and cover it with aluminum
- Place the roast in the oven and slow cook for several hours
Rule of thumb, you want the roast to be fully cooked and falling apart.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Grand Daddy mixed ingredients to taste (there are no exact measurements), what’s provided here is an estimate – (in progress)
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 small onion
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 can tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a small skillet, saute onion, oil and garlic for about 2 minutes
- Add chili powder, tomato paste, tomato puree, apple cider and mustard.
- Mix thoroughly – saute for about 5 minutes
- Add Worcestershire sauce, apple vinegar, brown sugar.
- Mix thoroughly and simmer for 5 minutes.
Combine BBQ Sauce and Beef
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: about 20 minutes
- Chop cooked beef into a large oven safe deep dish pan
- Pour BBQ sauce evenly over the beef.
- Mix well, so all the beef is fully covered in sauce.
- Place the pan in oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and mix well again.
- Replace the pan in oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir the mix well again. This time, give it a small taste. If you think it needs another 10 minutes for the beef to soak up a little more of the bbq, than give it a go. Just don’t over cook the beef or dry it out too much.
- Remove from oven, cool for 5 minutes and serve on hamburger buns
- Serve warm
- Serve with Garrett’s Hamburger Buns, Grand Daddy’s BBQ Slaw, Papaw Carey’s Country Baked Beans .
- You can use a store bought aluminium roasting pan to mix the beef and bbq together, for easier clean up. Just make sure the pan is some what heavy so it’s easier to pick up the beef from the oven.
- Once you combine the cooked beef with the bbq sauce, you can cover the entire top of the pan with aluminium and slow cook the beef for 30 to 40 minutes to ensure the sauce soaks in well with the beef. Just don’t over cook the beef. You want the beef falling apart, but not disintegrating into the sauce.