Papaw’s Country Baked Beans
We’re from Tennessee where barbeque is summer time mainstay. Whither it’s a bbq rub or sauce, there’s nothing like smoking a side of meat on the grill for an outdoors weekend bit of fun. But my Dad’s bbq beans were also a side dish during the winter too. I don’t remember a single Thanksgiving dinner where a bowl of bbq beans next to the Turkey wasn’t part of our table.
One cold and rainy fall day, my dad decided we were having a warm roast for dinner. And that meant making bbq beans. I don’t remember how I got involved in fixing the meal, but this is how he taught me to make a country version of baked beans.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 lg. can baked beans
- 2 tblspns dark brown sugar
- ¼ c barbeque sauce
- 2 slices uncooked bacon
- Mix all ingredients into a large sauce pan.
- Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring often to ensure the brown sugar melts into the liquid.
- Reduce heat and cook for 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour into a serving dish and serve warm.
They go great with corn